If you have blurry vision, you may wear contact lenses to give you the clear vision you need to safely and comfortably complete daily tasks, such as reading and driving. Contact lenses are an excellent vision correction option for many patients. However, at some point, you may become frustrated by the maintenance required by contact lenses or the lenses may cause some eye discomfort or irritation. This leads many patients to consider undergoing LASIK surgery. LASIK can correct the refractive errors that cause blurry vision for millions of patients. However, like contact lenses, LASIK surgery has its own drawbacks to consider. To learn more about LASIK vs. contact lenses, read on, and then contact Dr. Paul H. Chen at our San Diego, CA practice, North County Laser Eye Associates, to schedule a consultation with us.
We offer many types of contact lenses at our practice, including soft lenses, rigid gas permeable (RGP) lenses, toric lenses, daily disposables, colored lenses, and SynergEyes. Dr. Chen can help you choose a contact lens type and brand that feels comfortable and fits with your lifestyle. During your contact lens fitting appointment, he can also discuss the benefits and drawbacks of contact lenses.
Contact lenses offer many benefits to patients, including:
- They can be worn at any age: As soon as pre-teens or teens are able to insert the lenses and maintain the recommended cleaning schedule, they can begin to wear contact lenses instead of glasses.
- Low cost: Contact lenses are an inexpensive vision correction option. However, over the course of a lifetime, the cost of replacement contact lenses and cleaning solutions can exceed the one-time cost of LASIK surgery.
- Discreet: Contact lenses are a discreet vision correction option. In most cases, no one else will be able to tell that you are wearing corrective lenses.
The following drawbacks of contact lenses may lead patients to consider LASIK as an alternative treatment option.
- Comfort: For some patients, including those with eye allergies, contact lenses can be uncomfortable to wear. In addition, discomfort can occur if a contact lens becomes dislodged or something gets in the eye.
- Maintenance: Contact lenses require some maintenance. In most cases, they must be inserted in the morning and removed before bed at night. In addition, the lenses and lens case must be cleaned daily.
- Sports: Patients that play sports may find that contact lenses become dislodged at inopportune times.
Dr. Chen can perform LASIK surgery to permanently reshape your cornea and produce clear vision. During your LASIK screening, Dr. Chen will discuss the benefits and drawbacks of LASIK surgery.
The benefits of LASIK include:
- Less need for visual aids: LASIK surgery can reduce or completely eliminate your need for glasses or contact lenses.
- Cost: The cost of LASIK surgery is a one-time fee. When compared to the lifetime costs of glasses or contact lenses, LASIK may actually be the less expensive option.
The drawbacks of LASIK are:
- Surgical risks: LASIK is a surgical procedure, and is associated with risks such as infection and flap complications.
- Surgical procedure: Patients will have to undergo a short surgical procedure.
- Candidacy: Some patients, such as those under 18 years of age, are not considered good candidates for LASIK surgery.
To schedule your LASIK evaluation, contact North County Laser Eye Associates today.