For patients in their 40s and beyond, presbyopia is an inescapable condition that results in the need for visual aids when viewing near objects. Although the symptoms associated with presbyopia can be bothersome, we offer a number of effective treatments for the condition here at North County Laser Eye Associates. For patients throughout San Diego, laser eye surgery, glasses, contact lenses, or IOLs can be used to help patients see more clearly.
The symptoms of presbyopia generally begin sometime while a patient is in his or her 40s. The signs of the condition include:
- Images and text that appear blurry when they are within a couple of feet
- Squinting to focus on reading materials or images at close range
- Headaches or eyestrain after viewing near objects
Presbyopia is an age-related condition; although its causes are not completely understood, it is believed that the loss of focusing ability is due to a loss of elasticity and thickening of the eyeâ€™s natural lens. As the lens loses its flexibility, it is unable to shift between near and distant vision. Patients gradually lose their ability to focus on near objects, requiring some type of visual aid to see at close range.
Presbyopia differs from hyperopia, which produces similar symptoms. Hyperopia can occur at any age and is related to the shape of the cornea and eyeball.
There are several treatment options for presbyopic patients.
- Eyeglasses: Eyeglasses are by far the most common treatment for presbyopia. Many patients feel comfortable using glasses because they are a non-surgical treatment option and donâ€™t require the maintenance of contact lenses. However, there are some patients that prefer a more permanent solution to the condition.
- Monovision contact lenses: For patients that dislike eyeglasses, monofocal contact lenses may be an appropriate option. With monovision contact lenses, one lensâ€™ prescription is for the correction of near vision, while the other lensâ€™ prescription corrects distant vision. While some patients find that monovision is an excellent treatment for presbyopia, others may have problems with depth perception or simply not care for the visual results.
- Monovision LASIK: Patients that are satisfied with the correction provided by monovision contact lenses may be good candidates for monovision LASIK. For our presbyopic patients in San Diego, LASIK can be performed to produce clear near vision in one eye and clear distant vision in the other. Monovision LASIK can diminish or eliminate a patientâ€™s need for glasses and contact lenses.
- IOLs: The development of premium IOLs represented a great advance in the eye care field. Premium, or accomodating/multi-focal, IOLs allow patients to focus on close and distant objects without the need for glasses or contact lenses. The IOL is permanently implanted in the eye, providing patient with long-term results. We offer the CrystalensÂ®, ReSTORÂ®, ReZoomâ„¢, and TECNIS/MFâ„¢ IOLs at North County Laser Eye Associates; Dr. Paul Chen can discuss the advantages of each IOL during your personal consultation at our office.
Contact North County Laser Eye Associates
To schedule a consultation about your presbyopic treatment options, contact North County Laser Eye Associates.